Friday, August 20, 2010

So proud!

It's not big secret that I'm an atheist, and so is my hubby. Our girls probably identify that way right now, but not because we force it. If they want to go to a church, synagogue, or mosque, that's cool. When they are older, they can choose whatever religion they want, or none at at all. Anyway, this all leads up to a conversation I overheard in the car today. My oldest (who is 6) was teaching her younger sisters the Pledge of Allegiance. It went something like this:

Oldest: "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under...well, I don't believe in God, so I'll just say Earth...under Earth, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."


To say it made my heart swell with pride is an understatement. Not that she declared that she doesn't believe in God. She's 6, I don't think she fully grasps that yet. What made me so proud is that she thought about what she was saying, and didn't just go along with saying something she doesn't agree with. More than anything, I want our girls to be free-thinkers. I want them to question, I want them to make their own decisions. It seems like we are headed in the right direction, and that makes me so proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear what you have to say!